Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Laugh

Keep your customers laughing

I listen to a lot of sad stories from my customers.  Sometimes I feel more like a bartender than a nutrition salesman.   For instance, I had a customer show me a text message from his wife, informing him that she wanted a divorce after 15 years of marriage.  How do you react without making the guy feel any worse?  I provided some comedy and for a moment he smiled.

It's not about making a sale, it's about making friends.  Friends will come back to see you.  I notice that a lot of companies and small businesses don't practice this. 

Before the 2011 Russell Brand version of "Arthur," there was Dudley Moore's 1981 film.   In one scene Arthur's valet, Hobson, is dying.  Arthur redecorates his hospital room to look like a gentleman's club and brings in a plethora of toys, including a cowboy hat that Hobson insists he take off if he was to die suddenly.  It's a moving scene.  Arthur knows that the end is near for his friend, but he won't let him go without having fun.

Have fun with your customers.  Make it a memorable moment for them.  





No comments: